Relief Laeiszhof
nach 1945

The initial Years

1824

On March 24, 1824, the year F. Laeisz was founded, a young bookbinding journeyman and semi-skilled milliner begins making top hats. In 1825, he forwards his first shipment of hats to Buenos Aires, followed by later shipments to Brazil, Venezuela, Chile, Peru and Cuba. As in those days payment was frequently made in the form of natural produce, F. Laeisz had, by 1832, evolved into an import/export trading company.

1839

Following the successful start-up of his import/export business F. Laeisz gives in to his childhood dream of going to sea and entrusts in the 1830`s the Lübeck-based shipbuilders J. Meyer with the building of the brig "Carl," named after his son. The first ship to sail under the red and white FL flag is fitted with 96 commercial loads and costs  42,000 Marks Banco. This ship, however, is sold a couple of years after its delivery. The original ship model can still be seen in the entrance area of our head office at Trostbrücke 1 in Hamburg.

1847

F. Laeisz takes a new approach to shipping in 1847, founding the Hamburg-Amerikanische Packetfahrt Aktiengesellschaft (HAPAG) together with other Hamburg-based companies. By 1914 HAPAG has become the world's largest shipping company.

Ferdinand Laeisz
Portrait founder Ferdinand Laeisz
Model of the brig "Carl"
Model of the brig "Carl", first Ship of Reederei F. Laeisz

top